Dan Patrick was first elected Lt. Governor of Texas in 2014 and then re-elected in 2018 and 2022. He is a preeminent voice for principled conservative policies both in Texas and across the nation.
Lt. Governor Patrick is a leader in the fight to protect liberty, lower property and business taxes, create jobs and grow our economy, strengthen our grid by adding additional reliable dispatchable power, provide a high-quality education for all, secure our border, support law enforcement, and to protect life, religious freedom, and the Second Amendment. Lt. Governor Patrick delivered the largest property tax cut in history, $18 billion, benefitting homeowners and businesses. He cut the franchise tax 25% and has kept regulations reasonable.
Lt. Governor demanded the $100,000 homestead exemption as a “must pass” part of the $18 billion property tax cut. He held firm for 8 months until the Texas House finally passed it. Because of the $100K homestead exemption, school property taxes were cut by about 41% for the average Texas homeowner. The exemption was placed in the Texas Constitution with support of 83.4% of the voters in 2023.
Lt. Governor Patrick led the Texas Senate in passing legislation to end the teaching of critical race theory in public schools, abolish DEI practices in our universities, and enact needed reforms on tenure.
Lt. Governor Patrick is a staunch supporter of the Texas oil and gas industry and knows that a strong oil and gas industry leads to a stronger Texas. He has passed landmark legislation to protect the industry from the harmful ESG mandates from Wall Street and is committed to ensuring that the oil and gas industry thrives in Texas.
Lt. Governor Patrick is a student of Texas history. He has fought to protect our beloved Alamo from revisionist historians and will continue to ensure that the truth is told about the battle.
Lt. Governor Patrick has been called by critics and supporters the “most effective Lt. Governor in Texas history” and has presided over the most conservative and productive sessions ever. He gives the credit to the Senators for any success attributed to him. “They do the long and hard work of passing legislation,” says Patrick.
Before being elected Lt. Governor, he was twice elected to the Texas Senate in 2006 and 2010 representing part of Harris County. He spent over 40 years in the media as a television anchor, conservative talk show host, and successful radio station owner, putting a then-unknown Rush Limbaugh on the air in Houston in 1988.
Lt. Governor Patrick is heavily involved in his community, raising over $20 million for children with disabilities. He wrote a Christian best-seller, “The Second Most Important Book You Will Ever Read,” and produced the awarding winning Christian film, “The Heart of Texas.”
Lt. Governor Patrick and his wife, Jan, a former schoolteacher, will celebrate 49 years of marriage in 2024. They are the proud parents of two children, Ryan, a former state prosecutor, judge and U.S. Attorney, and daughter Shane, a speech therapist and registered nurse. They have a great daughter-in-law and son-in-law and are proud grandparents to eight grandchildren.
Things you might not know about Lt. Governor Patrick: He joined a cattle drive in Montana, once got in the barrel as a rodeo clown at a Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo bull riding event, led a 13-piece Motown band in high school, and has a collection of authentic signatures from every U.S. President and the Texas Founders including Bowie, Crockett, and Travis.
- Ronald Reagan Leadership Award from the Texas Public Policy Foundation
- 2-Time Law Enforcement Senate Legislator of the Year
- District Attorney Association’s Senator of the Year
- Pro Life Champion Award
- 2 Time National Federation of Small Business Top Award Winner
- Only Senator to receive Americans for Prosperity A+ Award for Fiscal Leadership 2 Consecutive Years
- Cut property taxes by $18 billion in 2023, the largest property tax cut in history
- Passed landmark property tax reform legislation that prevented unsustainable property tax rate growth
- Expanded Border Security, including adding billions of dollars for increased border enforcement
- Established program to provide bullet proof vests for every police officer on patrol in Texas
- Wrote and passed legislation to place “In God We Trust” in the Texas Senate
- Carried Senate legislation to place “Under God” in the state pledge of allegiance
- Wrote and passed sonogram legislation that has saved thousands of babies’ lives
- Wrote and passed $172 million tax cut for small business to help create jobs
- Wrote and passed School Choice Charter bill to create more choice for parents and students
- Raised teacher pay statewide while ensuring that Texans’ school property tax rates didn’t increase as a result
- Delivered 13th checks for retired teachers statewide
MORE ABOUT THE LT. GOVERNOR
- Author of Christian Best Seller “The Second Most Important Book You Will Ever Read”
- Executive Producer of Award Winning Christian Film, “The Heart of Texas,” voted the Best Film made in Texas in 2009
- Guest Pastor for Dr Ed Young at Second Baptist Church in Houston
- Founder of first Conservative Talk Radio station in Houston and brought Rush Limbaugh to Houston radio
- Frequent conservative guest on FOX News, known as an expert on border security